Maryland

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Chainatown

We learned about the immigrants in the Kevin's class. In japan, there are not many immigrants. We had same skin colers, same languages, and same cultures. It is very different from America. When I walk the city, I felt it the most. After the class, we went to Chainatown and Columbia Heights. These city especially Columbia Heights had very different atmosphere from the city we staying.
After today's studying, I became to want to know which allegiance is stronger; the US or their allegiance to their motherland. I think they had stronger allegiance to their motherland than to US. Because, they make their own community such as Chinatown.

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Hmm...at least in my own opinion, I have stronger allegiance to the U.S., but that's because technically America is my motherland. XD But for instance, my parents -- I think it'd be very difficult for them to choose one country over the other.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Nina Liakos said...

I agree that it's difficult for many immigrants to choose one country over the other, especially if they came here as adults; however, the next generation, those that are born here, rarely have the same difficulty. During World War 2, many Americans were suspicious of Japanese-Americans and German-Americans because they feared that they would work against the U.S.'s war interests. You may know that Japanese-Americans were forced to leave their homes and businesses and live in internment camps (Did you read Snow Falling on Cedars or see the movie?). Nevertheless, many Japanese-Americans fought on the American side (in the European theater) during the war.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home