Maryland

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Familyday

Yesterday was American Family Day. We learned about the family culture of America, and then compared it with that of Japan in Kevin's class. He gave us a lot of ideas about the American family. I've read about these things in a book, but he has a interesting view , so it was attracted me a lot. The most interesting information was that the picture of family which was drawn by kindergarten children is very different between America and Japan. Many Japanese childeren draw their family in order, such as fathere-mother-brothere. On the other hand American children draw their family disorder. I also draw my family picture in order. I think these differences come from the region. Many Japanese make a point of the order naturally.
Anyway, I want to learn about those things in Japan too!

2 Comments:

Blogger Nina Liakos said...

Hi Kokoro,

I guess Japanese culture encourages people to think of themselves as part of the family unit first, while American culture teaches us to think of ourselves as individuals first. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, I think.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hmm that is really interesting! I wonder what order I would've drawn my family in. ^_^

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home